Total Pageviews

Sunday 11 June 2017

Sachin- A journey of 24 years between 22 yards


Sachin: A billion dreams is the biopic of our legendary Sachin Tedulkar directed by James Erskine. This movie tried to cover in two hours and nineteen minutes what Sachin has achieved in 44 years. Going into the film, my expectations weren't too high because initially, I thought that this was a proper documentary like MS Dhoni, the untold story. I feared that this was going to be another one of those Star Sports interviews but I wasn't disappointed with what I saw.



I was able to enjoy it a lot more because I've been following cricket ever since I started talking. Sachin was definitely my childhood superhero just like any other 90's kid born in India. Not just us, but people of all ages can connect to it because he's been in the limelight for a very long time. I can also proudly say that I have seen him play in Chepauk and am definitely honored to have been a part of his journey.


The movie is very well edited, overall its just a walkthrough of his personal and cricketing life. It had a lot more cricket than drama or romance or any other thing you expect from a movie and that's what makes this a lot more interesting than other biopics. We see him grow and learn as a cricketer with clips included from his interviews and press conferences throughout his career.



Something which I didn't like about it was the fact that other important people around him were given much importance. His family's support, the relationship with his father, mother, his brother Ajith and his coach were all beautifully shown, but cricket is won by a team, a team of eleven players, substitutes, and the coach. From what we see, its as if every single match was won single-handedly by Sachin. I'd have liked to see more of Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, Kumble, Yuvraj and Dhoni. That's my only issue with this movie, otherwise is a neatly edited, structured and a properly paced movie.






There are so many moments where any fan of Sachin or the Indian cricket team for that matter get goosebumps, and his chants which echo throughout the movie transforms the theatre into a stadium making you want to scream your heart out and join the crowd. Overall, Sachin a billion dreams is a good watch, every fan of his should definitely check it out. I'm sure most of us will be able to connect to it and the few significant cricket matches which were the turning points of Indian cricket, making us the cricket crazy nation we are today, revolving around the little master who turned heads of the whole world to India, made us all proud.




Verdict:
7.5/10


It was great to get a glimpse of India's history, including the revolutionary changes which took place throughout the years like communication, politics, terrorism, all of it added more flavour and is probably the reason why it doesn't feel like a 2 hour interview.




No comments:

Post a Comment